Dr. Vineet K. Sharma
Indian Institute of Science Education and
Research (IISER Bhopal), Bhopal Bypass Road, Bhauri, Bhopal
Madhya Pradesh, India
A Brief Summary of Research Experience
Dec, 2016- present, Associate Professor at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Bhopal.
July, 2011- 2016, Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Bhopal.
Jan, 2015- present, Dean, Alumni and International Relations, IISER Bhopal.
Jan, 2012- present, Coordinator, Intellectual Property Rights and Incubation Cell (IPRIC), IISER Bhopal.
July, 2013- present, Visiting Scientist at Laboratory for Integrated Bioinformatics, RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences, RIKEN Yokohama, Japan.
July, 2011- June 2013, Visiting Scientist at Laboratory for MetaSystems Research, Center for Computational and Quantitative Life Science RIKEN, Yokohama, Japan.
2009-2011, Research Scientist in Laboratory for MetaSystems Research, Computational Biology Research Core, Center for Computational and Quantitative Life Science RIKEN, Yokohama, Japan.
Courses Taught at IISERB
- BS-MS Fourth Year- Advanced Bioinformatics, 2014
- BS-MS Third Year- Microbiology, 2013
- BS-MS Fourth Year- Bioinformatics, 2013
- PhD Course- Genome Sequencing and Metagenomics, 2012
- BS-MS Second Year- Bioinformatics, 2012
- BS-MS Second Year- Biological Process, 2011
Previous Teaching Experience
- Delivered lecture classes for Post Graduate Diploma course in Bioinformatics at Informatics Institute (organized in collaboration with CSIR).
Awards and Achievements
- Awarded with Khorana Fellowship to attend a two week 'Technology Transfer Course' 2012 at University of Wisconsin- Madison (USA), sponsored by Department of Biotechnology, India, Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF) and University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Awarded with Letter of appreciation by Dr. R. Noyori (Nobel Laureate), President, RIKEN, Japan during Annual Awarding Ceremony held on Jan 24, 2008 for astonishing scientific achievement at RIKEN.
- Awarded for Outstanding Performance at Novartis International Biotechnology Leadership Camp 2007. Tokyo, Japan, 2007.
- First to decipher the genome of an unculturable endosymbiotic bacteria coupling N2 fixation to cellulolysis within protist cells in termite gut (Science 2008).
- First to curate a database (MetaBioME) of commercially useful enzymes (CUEs) and developing a computational system to explore them in metagenomic datasets (NAR 2010).
- First to sequence, analyze and publish the genome of an unculturable bacterium from termite gut (PNAS 2008).
- Awarded HGM Student Award at the Human Genome Meeting, Kyoto, Japan, 2005.
- Awarded Senior Research Fellowship from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India.
- Qualified nationwide exam NET (National Eligibility Test) conducted by CSIR and UGC (University Grant Commission), 2000.
- Received Catch them Young Scholarship during M.Sc on the basis of Merit under the CSIR-UGC fellowship model.
Ph.D. in Bioinformatics
2000-2005, from the Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), CSIR and registered at Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi, India.
M.Sc. in Biomedical Sciences
1998-2000, Ist division, Among top ten students, Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi, Delhi, India.
Masters in Intellectual Property Law (MIPL)
2011-2014, School of Law, Delhi and Queensland University, Australia
1996-1998, Higher Diploma in Sales and Marketing Management (18 months) from National Institute of Sales, Delhi, India.
B.Sc (Honours) in Microbiology
1995-1998, Ist division, Among top ten students, University of Delhi, Delhi, India.
- Short course on High performance Computing at RIKEN carried out by Hitachi, Japan
- Certificate Course in C, C++, Aptech Institute, Delhi, India
- Certificate Course in Computers, National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Delhi, India